A defective tail light on a vehicle with North Carolina registration led to several charges, including drugs.
Billy James Mitchem, 37, of Switzer, was arrested and charged with driving while revoked for DUI 3rd offense, possession of a controlled substance, improper registration, no insurance and improper turn.
According to the criminal complaint filed, West Virginia State Trooper B.A. Lowe was on road patrol when he noticed the defective tail light on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am with North Carolina registration plates. Lowe ran a vehicle query on the registration and found that it belonged on a 1999 Chevrolet out of Hickory. Before Lowe could initiate a stop, the vehicle turned on its left signal and turned behind King’s Towers.
Upon approaching the vehicle, Lowe identified the defendant, Mitchem, and said that he “observed the defendant exhibiting behavior that this officer has come to recognize as indicative of criminal activity.”
After asking Mitchem to exit the vehicle, Lowe asked permission to search Mitchem for weapons, to which he consented. In Mitchem’s front left pocket, Lowe “located a plastic pipe used for smoking crack with a white powdery residue on it and a small syringe.”
Lowe asked if there was anything illegal in the vehicle to which Mitchem replied “There may have been some paraphernalia” and gave Lowe permission to search. Lowe located a small plastic bag with multiple green dollar signs on it containing a “white substance this officer believed to be crack cocaine.” After giving Mitchem his Miranda Rights, Mitchem stated to Lowe that he “had found the substance at Speedway and just tossed it into the car as a joke.” Following a driver’s query, Lowe was informed the vehicle was not insured and that Mitchem’s operator’s license was revoked for DUI effective 9/4/97, with two previous convictions for driving while revoked for DUI on 1/28/03 and 10/7/04.
Mitchem is being held in the Southwestern Regional Jail on a $5,000 bail.
In other arrests news:
• Christopher Aaron Dardi, 33, was arrested and charged for Domestic Assault and Domestic Battery by Logan County Sheriff Deputy N.M. Booth on July 27. He was released on a $2,500 bail.
• Josh Stephen Nida, 28, was arrested and charged with battery x2 and assault x2 on July 27 by City of Logan Patrolman R. Adkins. He was released on a $5,000 bail.
• Carlos Andre Rose, 47, was arrested by City of Logan Patrolmen Maynard and Conley for domestic battery on July 27. He was released on a $1,500 bail.
• Dylan Andrew Hallas, 31, was arrested and charged with underage consumption and hitchhiking on July 29 by WVSP Tprs. B.A. Lowe and J.E. Garren. He was released on a $1,000 bail.
• Freddie Howard Mitchell, 31, was arrested and charged with driving suspended/revoked for DUI 2nd offense, no proof of insurance, and ATV on road with centerline on July 30 by WVSP Tpr. B.A. Lowe. He was released on a $1,500 bail.
• Brandon Larue Cox, 31, was arrested and charged on July 30 by City of Logan Police Sgt. D.A. White for domestic battery. He was released on a $2,500 bail.
• Paul James Perry, 61, was arrested and charged with DUI 2nd offense, Driving on suspended/revoked for DUI and possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance on July 31 by WVSP Tprs. B.K. Wellman and M.A. Broadwater. He was released on a $5,000 bail.
• David Allen Spears Jr., 33, was arrested and charged with DUI, Driving suspended/revoked for non-DUI, failure to obey traffic control device and no proof of insurance on July 31, by WVSP Tpr. C.F. Stump. He was released on a $2,500 bail.
• Paul W. Brewster, 62, was arrested and charged with false information to Department of Protective Services and obstructing on August 3 by WVSP Tprs. R.E. Stowers and T.D. Boggs. He was released on a $1,500 bail.