Receipts are coming up short in Floyd County coal severance projections, and one large Prestonsburg project may feel the bite.
According to Amy Barnes, manager of the Department for Local Government’s Coal Development and Multi-County Project Branch, Floyd County receipts do not add up to projected income for coal severance tax for 2013. “The situation is the line items that were passed on projection,” Barnes said. “The receipts have come in less.”
Times staff started looking into the coal severance funding after it was suggested that the new clubhouse at Stonecrest Golf Course had lost its funding.
Barnes says that right now, the county has enough in coal severance dollars to fund 59 of it’s 60 projects presented as line items for 2013. Barnes said it is estimated that the 60th project may receive partial funding after the April receipts come in, though she could not quantify what “partial” means. “It depends on what the April deposit is.”
Magistrate John Goble said the problem is that Floyd County is not producing the coal it used to. “We get probably 50 percent (coal severance) of what we used to,” Goble said.
Goble says he doesn’t believe the county will fall short. He says that the county actually has more mines operational this year than the previous year.
The county prioritizes its coal severance spending in July, when it gets its list of approved projects. This year’s projects were prioritized as follows:
- Veterans Cemetery - $75,000
- Floyd County Senior Citizens - $200,000
- Pride on the River - Harold Sewer Project - $100,000
- Purchase Work Trucks - $70,000
- All Floyd County Volunteer Fire Departments - $3,000 ea.
- DAV’s 169, 18, 128 and American Legion 283, VFW 5839 Martin Amvets Projects - $2,500 ea.
- WWII & Korean War monument - $15,000
- Garrett Park - $40,000
- Minnie Park - $10,000
- Mud Creek Park - $25,000
- Stone Crest Mountain Top Recreation Repairs - $200,000
- Elk Horn Park and ATV Trails - $12,500
- Highland Autistic School - $75,000
- Floyd County Drug Court - $50,000
- Floyd County Health Department Colon Screening - $25,000
- German Bridge Camp Grounds Barns - $25,000
- Floyd County Rescue Squad Building - $100,000
- Prestonsburg City Utility Station Branch Sewer Project - $100,000
- Left beaver Rescue Squad Building - $75,000
- Wayland Historical Society - $45,000
- Floyd County Sheriffs Patrol Car - $30,000
- Floyd County Fiscal Court- establish branch office in Left Beaver - $60,000
- Allen Park General Maintenance - $50,000
- Allen Park Recreation Building - $5,000
- Ball Park Improvements - $10,000
- Floyd County Rescue Squad Equipment/Operations - $25,000
- Floyd County Board of Education - Drift Park Concession Stands/Scoreboard - $15,000
- Floyd County board of Education - Academics/Athletics - $100,000
- Floyd County Fiscal Court - food pantry -$60,000
- Floyd County Fiscal Court - Floyd County ATV mapping trail development - $50,000
- City of Prestonsburg - Mountain Arts Center - $75,000
- Mountain Comprehensive Care Center Construction of Substance Abuse Center - $100,000
- Wheelwright - swimming pool -$10,000
- Wheelwright - sidewalks - $50,000
- Wayland - Wayland park - $2,500
- Floyd County Board of Education - Wheelwright Gym - $10,000
- Floyd County Fiscal Court - courthouse renovations - $100,000
- City of Prestonsburg - Parks and Recreation - $50,000
- City of Prestonsburg - Mountain Top Recreational Clubhouse Design/Repair - $50,000
- City of Prestonsburg - Clubhouse/Core Drill, Engineering - $500,000
According to Barnes, while 2013 money is mostly secured, 2014 is another matter. Barnes said her office cannot make projections about 2014, but she did say, “Based on trends, revenue is down.”