Last updated: July 17. 2013 1:47PM - 2951 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Rachel Baldwin

Staff Writer

WILLIAMSON - The case of “disappearing and reappearing” narcotics at the Hurley Drug Store in downtown Williamson has been solved, according to West Virginia State Police (WVSP) Trooper 1st Class (TFC) Kristy L. Adkins, who serves as a Bureau of Criminal Investigation Drug Diversion Investigator with the Dunbar Detachment of the WVSP.

TFC Adkins is assigned to several counties and also works alongside federal investigators on drug related cases.

Mamie “Irene” Sada, 46, of Duncan Fork, was arraigned Thursday morning in Mingo County Magistrate Court on felony charges of obtaining prescription drugs by fraud. The criminal complaint from TFC Adkins states that on February 7 of this year, Sada, who was employed as a pharmacy technician at Hurley Drug for approximately 8 months, did remove a bottle of 2 mg Alprazolam (Xanax) which is a Schedule IV narcotic, from the pharmacy counter beside of a pill counting machine. She then proceeded to place the bottle in a pharmacy shopping bag along with a bottle of over the counter vitamins that she had purchased.

Once the pharmacist realized the bottle of Alprazolam 2 mg was missing, store surveillance tapes were reviewed to identify the thief. The following day, Feb. 8, Sada was once again captured on the video surveillance cameras, placing the stolen prescription bottle back onto a shelf in the customer area of the store. She then pretended to “recover and find” the bottle and gave it to the pharmacist. A pill count of the bottle’s content revealed that a total of 55 2 mg Xanax tablets were missing and unaccounted for.

Mamie “Irene” Sada then resigned from her position as a pharmacy tech at Hurley Drug the following day via a text message, and provided the excuse of another job offer as the reason for quitting. According to one of Sada’s former co-workers, the defendant has remained unemployed to her knowledge since the theft, and did not receive another job offer.

Sada was contacted on Wednesday and informed that a felony warrant had been issued for her arrest. She allegedly turned herself in at the Williamson Detachment of the WVSP to Sgt. J.C. Dotson and was transported to magistrate court where she was arraigned before Magistrate Dee Sidebottom. Sada was remanded to the custody of the Southwestern Regional Jail at Holden on a $50,000 full-cash bond.

Sada will be back in court for her preliminary hearing within 7-10 days is she is unable to post the full-cash bond, and within a 20 day period if she does make bond.

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Logan Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com